Amtrak’s Saluki and Illini run daily between Chicago, IL, and Carbondale, IL, with nine intermediate stops, offering two daily round trips. From start to finish, the 309-mile trip takes 5.5 hours.
A quick look at the Amtrak Saluki and Illini
Let’s take a quick look at what this train has to offer.
- Business classes
- This car has a cafe car
- Offers food, snacks, and hot and cold beverages.
- This car has a cafe car
- This train has free Amtrak Wi-Fi for all.
- This train does not offer checked bag services.
- The train has a few add-ons.
- The schedules for these trains.
- An alternative to these trains is the Amtrak City of New Orleans.
Amtrak Saluki and Illini accommodations
Recently, due to CN’s restriction on train length and weight due to what is needed to activate their grade crossing signals, Amtrak has been using Superliner cars. Some of those cars are not in service for passengers but are there for axle count. This could change at any time.
Here is what Amtrak Coach seating on this train offers:
- Comfortable seats,
- Aa fold-down tray
- Leg and footrest
- Individual reading lights
- 120v grounded (three-prong) electric outlets are on the wall.
- Restrooms are on the lower level of the train.
- There are overhead luggage racks and a shelf on the lower level of the car.
- Everything coach class gives you.
- Extra legroom
- Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages.
Wi-Fi & entertainment on Amtrak
Food on this train
There is a cafe on this train plus you can bring food.
Don’t forget to stop by one of my favorite places to go, the Cafe Car!
What you can find in the cafe:
- Hot and cold meals
- Including breakfast options.
- Coffee, tea, and cold beverages
- Including adult beverages.
The cafe car may not open immediately leaving the first station and may close before the last. Conductors and the cafe car attendant will let you know when it is open and its location.
Bringing food and beverages on the train.
You may bring food and drink aboard the train.
Amtrak allows you can bring alcohol on the train, but if you do, leave it in your bags! You can’t consume the alcohol you brought on board. If you get caught drinking your own or get out of hand, the train’s next stop will be yours.
Amtrak Saluki and Illini add ons
You can add a few add-ons to your reservations to bring those extras.
Amtrak allows bikes on the train, but spots can be limited; check out the Amtrak bike policy for the most up-to-date info and booking instructions.
Amtrak allows dogs and cats up to 20 pounds (combined weight of pet and carrier) for trips up to seven hours. You must print and complete paperwork before bringing your pet to the train. To find the paperwork and to get more information, check out Amtrak’s pet policy.
If you plan on bringing a service or comfort animal, read Amtrak’s service animal policy for instructions and restrictions. Don’t arrive at the stations without being prepared and researching the topic.
This train does not offer a checked bag service.
Each passenger may carry on:
- One personal item, 25 lbs. (12 kg) and 14 x 11 x 7 inches, and
- Two carry-on pieces of luggage, 50 lbs. (23 kg) and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each
- If you transfer to the Pacific Surfliner at some point along your journey, the baggage size for that train is up to 28 x 22 x 11 inches each.
Charges apply for additional and oversized luggage; check out Amtrak’s carry-on bag policy for more information.
Amtrak Saluki and Illini schedules
This guide uses available information from Amtrak.com; things could change since this article was published. Check with Amtrak or your ticket to ensure times do not vary.
These times below are departure times; the train may arrive a minute or two earlier than the stated time.
|Carbondale, IL (CDL)
|Du Quoin, IL (DQN)
|Centralia, IL (CEN)
|Effingham, IL (EFG)
|Mattoon, IL (MAT)
|Rantoul, IL (RTL)
|Gilman, IL (GLM)
|Kankakee, IL (KKI)
|Homewood, IL (HMW)
Union Station (CHI)
Printable Amtrak Saluki and Illini schedules
You can print off either secdeule below, which include Amtrak connectin services. To ensure you have the most up to date schedules, you can print route or custom ones from Amtrak.com, learn how to print Amtrak schedules here.
The information for these guides comes from Amtrak, and Amtrak can change times anytime.